Built on a basalt hill, Rupea fortress represents one of the oldest constructions in Romania. It is located at the border of the historic principalities of Transylvania, Moldavia and Vallachia – in Brasov county. It is built in 3 layers.
The upper fortress (cetatea de sus) was first built more than 2.000 years ago as a Dacian fortress and it was named Ramidava. After the Roman invasion of Dacia, it was turned into a Roman defense point and renamed “Rupes”, considering that Dacia’s borders were the borders of the Roman empire and constantly a target of attacks. Ramidava was mentioned by Ptolemeu Claudius in his writings. After Romans retreated, the fortress was abandoned.
After Magyars (Hungarians) arrived a few centuries later, the king of Hungary colonized the region with Saxons (ethnic germans) in the Xth century. In 1324, the Saxons rose against the King of Hungary and took refuge in Rupea fortress – fact mentioned in the first modern written document about the fortress.
In the XV century, the second layer was built – the middle fortress (cetatea de mijloc). In the XVIII century, the lower fortress was also built (cetatea de jos).